the complete and honest truth

my humble attempt to collect memories i will regret not remembering, and documenting the things in life i'm fortunate enough to take for granted...

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Complimentary Strangers.

Complimentary Strangers.

When you're feeling particularly disappointed in something, or just down in some way, it's really hard to find a silver lining, or a bright point in your day. I have the obvious pick me ups - the way my baby lays her head on my chest when she falls asleep, or beating Nik in one-on-one basketball, etc. But sometimes, it's just nice when someone goes out of their way, to make you feel good about yourself - even though it's either a) their job. b) a complete and total lie.

I haven't been to the gym in months, really. Lilah doesn't like childcare there, and only on the most recent attempts, has she been receptive to it. So, we've been a few times in the last week. There are workers in childcare who remember Delilah & I, and have made the most kind comments the last few days. I guess when Josh has taken my boys, he never mentioned to anyone that I was expecting. So, imagine their shock, when I show up, and have quite the tummy. Lisa's comment went something like "Are you???" Which is funny, because I'm sure she was trying to be careful - she works at a gym, and in her line of work, I'm sure it could be easy to make that mistake! Heidi went out of her way quite a few times to tell me I looked great, and other such complimentary things. Jasmine made sure to stop me while I was on the treadmill to express her shock (lol), and congratulations, and to tell me I looked great. Along with other comments from other gym patrons, about my tummy and all it's cuteness.

Do they mean it? I doubt it. They get paid to make people feel good about themselves. But does it feel good to have someone say those things about you? Yep. It made me feel welcome there, missed, and it made me look forward to going back. And it's just the kind of feelings I needed right now.

Oh. And I'm 99.9% sure Lilla's got a cold, from being back in childcare. I'm still holding on to my "no pediatrician visits till August", so here's to hoping it'll pass quickly, and not cause her too much discomfort!

Peri Appointment.

It was also just amazing to see little Cece on the big screen today, at my peri appointment. She did all kinds of silly things, in her tiny, cramped living space. She's such a part of my heart. So far, so good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Krysten said...

I love comments from people like that. Weather sincere or not, they at least make you feel good for the time being. Here's hoping lilla is over her cold fast and you can stick it out till August!

June 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home