the complete and honest truth

my humble attempt to collect memories i will regret not remembering, and documenting the things in life i'm fortunate enough to take for granted...

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Summer isn't really a season.

It's true, you know. Summer isn't a season at all. Summer begins with school dismissals, busted up schedules, shaving of heads (or 'hawks, if you live in my house), with flip flops & muscle shirts, sleeping in, and late nights.... Summer is ending. 'Hawks have been cut, shoes are laced, backpacks are packed, alarms are set, and cinnamon rolls are bathed in maple glaze (thank you, Pioneer Woman.)

The earthquake yesterday was scary for us. Scary because we live on the East coast, always have and unlike our western counterparts - we're not used to it. I've never felt anything like it, never want to again! The uncertainty of your house shaking, and not knowing how long it will/could last? Craziness. BUT, that being said - totally gave me one more day of summer with my boys! HA! But, too bad for me, school starts tomorrow. I am excited, of course. My baby boy (!) is going to the big K tomorrow. He'll be gone most hours of the day now, and that's just sad. He's my late year guy, so I had him home a bit longer than Nik or Ethan. We've just had more time. And with his rocky OT/ST start - we've really come a long way, and that's special, too. It will be really hard to see him go. But like I told him tonight, as I said goodnight - what matters most is that you have a great day, and I'll be here when you get home. I'll be here. (with some kind of baked treat, too, because that's how I roll.) Then Nik... 5th grade? Seriously? That's like one grade away from what one friend at Bunco described as "the loss of innocence.". With Alex going to K, I'll have to be anxious about that one later in the school year. Ethan will be in 3rd, and well, I'm just not worried about him. The kid is just like a cat, he always lands on his feet.

Our summer was fantastic! We were out of the house (not just in front of it, but like at somewhere that wasn't our house) EVERY single weekday (and most weekend days) Every! We finished 95% of our list. They still have to purchase the items for a care package (for a ped cancer patient), with their earnings from their lemonade stand. And run a race. We totally rocked summer. I just hope their teacher asks them to write something about what they did this summer. Because we definitely had a summer to write about.

And now my days will be so different, but so the same. I've gone from having all boys home, to ALL girls. Just me, Cece, & Lilah. Oh, the things we will fill our days with. (napping... ahh.)

So, that's it. My alarm is set, my babies are all tucked in and ready to go.

a side note, as a tribute to my laziness

A story about the Tooth Fairy.

Nik's 10, and kinda, sorta still believes. I don't really give him the option to not believe, if that makes sense? So yeah. I've never been good at the whole "get the tooth from under the pillow, leave a dollar" (quarter, nickel, savings bond, whatever.) The nerves of it get to me. What if I got caught? Being that I don't have skillz like a ninja, I wasn't confident in my ability to get the job done. So, since teeth starting dropping, I've made several attempts to get out of it, which led to us having the coolest tooth fairy ever. Our tooth fairy folds the dollars up all awesome, in little footballs, or other random (accidental) shapes. She'll leave them in your shoes, she'll leave them taped to the window in your room, or sometimes she'll leave it in the cup of water your tooth was in. THAT'S RIGHT! The tooth is left out in the open, in a cup of water. It keeps the tooth clean, and alive, until the Tooth fairy can come get it. genius.

Last week, Nik ripped a tooth out (didn't want Alex to lose his before him). I decided to leave the dollar in an unconventional place - under his pillow. So, in the morning he comes down with his dollar, and I said, "Wow! Awesome! Where did she leave it?!" And he says, solemnly "It was just under the pillow. It wasn't even hard to find." Sigh... he was SO disappointed. (this time there was no tooth, because the cup it was in, was on the counter, and it met it's fate with the garbage disposal. go mommy.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home